On June 2, 2013 The Fort Collins VeloPark Association and CSU Ram’s Cycling will kick off its 6th annual race series on the Oval at Colorado State University. The racing takes place each Sunday for four straight weeks with categories for fixed gear and freewheeling bicycles. All ages of cyclists welcome — from tiny tots, to licensed racers, to masters.
This year the Oval Series is proud to be a part of the first ever FoCo Kids Healthy Bike Challenge. Kids racing in the Omnium at the Oval race free and earn participation points towards the overall series championship.
All the details are listed below (click on tab):
Sundays: June 2, 9, 16, 23 *Rain date: June 30*
- 3:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Kids Registration: 3:00-3:45
- Adult Registration: 3:00-4:45
- Kids races: 3:45-4:30
- Adult races: 5:00-7:00
Kid’s races, Ages 0 through 17, Kids medal presentation immediately following their last race
- 4:00 PM 0-4 sprint, heat 1
- 4:05 PM 5-6 150 meter sprint, heat 1
- 4:10 PM 0-4 sprint, heat 2
- 4:15 PM 5-6 150 meter sprint, heat 2
- 4:20 PM 7-9 2 lap race
- 4:30 PM 10-12 3 lap race
- 4:45 13-17 5 lap race
Adult Races, 18 and over
- 5:30 PM Beginner/Intermediate Single speed, 3 lap scratch race
- 5:45 PM Track, 5 lap scratch race
- 6:00 PM Beginner/Intermediate Geared, 10 lap criterium
- 6:15 PM Beginner/Intermediate Single Speed, 5 lap points race
- 6:30 PM Track, 8 lap points race
- 6:45 PM Open Geared, 15 lap criterium
The Oval at the Omnium takes place on the Oval at Colorado State University. Free parking available in lots adjacent to the Oval.
Registration Fees (Per Each Event)
- Under-18 categories — free;
- 18+ categories — $10 (each category)
- Each event date will have medals for under-18 categories.
- Cash prizes from entry fees for 18+ categories will accumulate each week.
- Weekly accumulated points will determine the overall series Omnium winner in each category.
- Under-18 categories will ride one heat per event
- 18+ fixed gear categories will ride two heats per event and 18+ geared will ride one.
- 18+ categories will be beginner/intermediate and open.
Fixed geared bicycles will race velodrome style events typical of the following:
- Points: Points are awarded to the first four riders on each sprint (either every lap or every nth lap as designated by the Race Director). The winner of the race is the rider who has accumulated the most total points.
- Miss & Out: Each sprint lap, the last rider in the field (in each gender when applicable) is called out and needs to pull out of the race.
- Chariot: One lap sprint.
- Snowball: Points are awarded every nth lap to the first 4 riders as in the points race, but the number of points goes up each sprint, such that each sprint earns more points than the last. The winner at the end has the most cumulative points.
- Scratch: This is a regular race just as you’ve always known it. There is one sprint finish, and the winner is the one who finishes first.
Geared bicycles will race a criterium format, for time under criterium rules. Wheels in, wheels it until the final 3 laps.